There is a close relationship between high standards of dignity and pride and proper grooming which all contribute to an appropriate learning environment. Modesty will be the dominant feature in all clothes. Attire will be clean, inoffensive, and not distracting. The student and parent share in the responsibility for proper grooming; however the campus administrators have the final authority concerning the appropriateness of clothes and hairstyle.
In addition to the BISD dress code, the following will be enforced in the Disciplinary Alternative Education Program (DAEP) at the Lighthouse Learning Center (LLC):
- The Lighthouse Learning Center is not responsible for items brought to school. Items confiscated due to violation of the Campus Rules, except money, will be held in the front office. These items include, but are not limited to: excess cash (anything over $5.00), jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, piercings, watches, rings, etc.) Parents must make arrangements with office staff to pick up confiscated items from the office. Billfolds are not to be brought to school. At the end of the school year all unclaimed items will be disposed of.
- Students will wear an LLC issued uniform shirt. For warmth, students may wear a plain, long-sleeved white shirt underneath the LLC uniform shirt. A maximum of two shirts may be worn.
- Girl’s undergarments should not be visible through their shirts and should be of a neutral color.
- Shirts must be buttoned within one button of the collar.
- All students must be keep their shirt tucked in tightly. Blousing of the shirt is not allowed. The belt must be visible.
- Students must wear a plain black or brown belt. Belts may not have heavy metal buckles, metal decorations or chains. The buckle must be 2 inches or smaller.
- Clean, plain, black jeans or blue jeans only (no slacks). Jeans must be worn to fit at the waist, the crotch, and the length. They must be free from all decorative stitching, logos, emblems, stripes, labels, and/or designs. Jeans may not be cut, torn, frayed (no holes) and have no more than four (4) pockets and the watch pocket. Jeans cannot have built in belts or laces. The hem must be sewn. The jeans may not drag the floor. Jeans may not be cuffed.
- Students shall not wear any other garment (athletic shorts, etc) under the jeans except for appropriate underwear.
- Students must wear only plain white, black or grey tennis/athletic shoes (including the soles). Students must wear plain white, black or gray socks. No other colors are allowed other than white, black or gray for shoes and socks. Students are not allowed to wear boots of any kind.
- Shoe laces (strings) must be either black or white (NO EXCEPTIONS). Shoes need to be laced and tied in front. If shoes have straps, straps need to be secured at all times.
- Identifiable gang-related apparel will not be allowed.
- No jewelry (including watches) of any kind is allowed. All jewelry will be confiscated and parents will be required to pick it up from the front office. At the end of the school year all unclaimed items will be disposed of.
- No visible body piercing will be allowed.
- Tattoos shall be covered if they are offensive, signify gang association, or cause a disruption of the educational process. Students must provide appropriate coverings for all tattoos if they do not follow the guidelines in the district code of conduct. Students must bring a box of band-aids to leave at school for this purpose.
- Students shall not wear make-up that is extravagant, bizarre, and inappropriate; or a disruption of the educational environment in the opinion of the administrator.
- Only black or white hair ties are allowed and must be worn in the hair at all times.
- Nail polish or artificial nails are not allowed.
- No temporary dental covers (grills) will be allowed; only permanent dental appliances affixed by a dentist will be allowed.
- All students referred to the LLC are expected to be well groomed. Boys’ hair shall be cut to prevent it from extending below the eyebrow in front and below the collar in the back or pulled back to clear the collar. Hair cannot extend beyond three (3) inches from the scalp. Facial hair must be neat, clean, and well-groomed. Hairstyles shall not, in the opinion of the administrator, cause a health or safety hazard or cause a disruption of the educational process. THIS SHOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF PRIOR TO ARRIVING AT SCHOOL.
- Extravagant, bizarre, inappropriate hairstyles, hair sculpting and outlandish/unnatural hair color will not be allowed. An exception to the dress code will be made for students who, as amatter of their sincerely held religious belief, keep their hair long or uncut, or wear religious headwear or clothing, including but not limited to the Sikh dastaar (turban), theMuslim hijab (head scarf), or the Jewish yarmulke (skull cap). The administrator will make the final decision regarding dress code or appropriateness in hair style.
- Students must remain in LLC dress code until they are off of the LLC campus which includes the parking lot.
- Violation of the LLC dress code will result in these consequences (not necessarily in this order):
a. Call home for parents/guardians to bring correct attire
b. ISS (In School Suspension)
c. Cinching of pants
d. After school detention
23. Since it is impractical to list every possibility of dress and grooming, final decisions concerning what is acceptable are left to a building administrator as stated in the BISD Student Code of Conduct.